Black Lives Matter-Canada and Wildseed Centre for Art & Activism are projects of M4BJ, which is a Black-led not-for-profit, charitable organization. At M4BJ, we are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free selection process and work environment, and will work with you to meet your access needs. Requests can be made at any phase of the recruitment process and should be emailed to our Executive Director at email@example.com if you require accommodations.
M4BJ is a community and arts service organization that primarily engages in serving the needs of Black communities. In order to effectively support these communities and provide opportunities for historically marginalized people, candidates who have lived experience will be strongly considered.
- Work with local chapter leadership to support and nurture a culture of radical Black resistance in Canada.
- Support and amplify existing BLM Network initiatives.
- Liaise with other local and national Black movements and organising efforts
- Liaise with other fieldworkers to establish cross-regional collaboration, skills sharing, and solidarity work.
- Support the research pillar of Black Lives Matter - Canada
- Actively engage with international bodies working for Black liberation in other jurisdictions, including Brazil, Caribbean, the UK, the United States, on the continent, and in other regions as they arise.
- Support the skills and resource development for grassroots Black organizers working within and alongside the Black Lives Matter Canada Network.
- Liaise with local BLM Canada chapters to maintain the Black & Indigenous Family Support Network.
- Act as support and resource for official Canadian chapters of Black Lives Matter — Canada.
- Development and coordination of national strategy, as it pertains to federal policy/lobbying, governmental monitoring/research and law implementation.
- Coalition-building with allied national organizations and movements, including Indigenous organizations, labour and student movements, and other Black-centric movements/organizations.
- Support democratic infrastructure of Black Lives Matter - Canada
- Work with the communications team to create communication strategies for media, with chapters, allied movements, and partners.
- Strengthen the Canadian network’s communications infrastructure.
- Establishing rapid response protocols and best practices.
- Collaborate with Social Media Coordinator for monthly media reporting.
- Assist in the coordination of chapter-based communications strategies for direct actions and events.
- Facilitate media training.
- Triage media requests to chapter media representatives
- Build and maintain strong relationships with BLM chapter leaders
- Support the onboarding of emerging chapters.
- Meet with emerging and established chapters to assess opportunities for support/collaboration.
- Assist and support in chapter recruitment;
- Maintain regular communication with chapters through conference calls, assistance, and training.
- Continue developing onboarding training suite available to new chapters.
- Maintain clear contact records of chapters and their leadership.
- Coordinating visioning sessions with new chapters.
- Responsible for all accounting operations including journal entries, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, statutory reporting, cash flow reports, and banking functions
- Keeps impeccable financial records and establishes, maintains and balances various accounts; reconciles accounts monthly
- Maintains general ledgers and prepares financial statements
- Process, file and maintain vendor payments
- Prepares for the annual audit and liaises with external auditors
- Establish and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance with established regulatory and company policies and procedures
- Prepares remittances to CRA & Minister of Finance, prepare annual returns/reports for Registered Charity, HST, EHT, and other government agencies
- Prepares tax returns and performs other bookkeeping duties
- Assists and advises in the organizational budgeting process
- Assists in the development and ensures the maintenance of robust and accurate filing and archiving systems for financial and corporate records
- Evaluates financial reporting systems and makes recommendations for changes to procedures, operating systems, budgets and other financial control functions
- Conducts annual reviews of organizational insurance policies to ensure the accuracy and adequacy of such policies
- Manages technical resources and accounts, including digital accounts
- Acts as the primary staff liaison to Corporations Canada, the Charity Directorate and the Canada Revenue Agency.
- Prepares T4s, T4As, Record of Employment and other documents as needed
- Onboard new and transitioning employees (preparing the workspace, setting up user accounts, completing paperwork etc.)
- Completes and submits tax remittance forms, workers’ compensation forms, pension contribution forms and other government documents
JOB TYPE: Part-Time, 20 hours per week.
CONTRACT START: August 16, 2021. 90 day probationary period.
PAY: $30-$35 CAD. Paid biweekly.
BENEFITS: Extended Health, Dental, & Life Insurance Benefits , available post-probation
LOCATION: Dependent on the work: virtual, remote, or at Wildseed Centre. Wildseed is fully compliant with all municipal, provincial, and federal COVID-19 guidelines. Remote work is a possibility.
If you have the qualifications to fill this role and feel you could make a meaningful contribution to Black Lives Matter — Canada, apply by submitting your resume and one-page cover letter in a single PDF by Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 11:59 PM ET to:
Subject: BLM Canada Organizer
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.