The Wildseed Centre for Art & Activism and Black Lives Matter - Canada (BLM-CA) are seeking a Full-Time Operations & Finance Director. Wildseed is an artist-run centre and community space providing organizational, arts, and events space for the Black community. BLM-CA is a non-profit political formation resolutely committed to the eradication of anti-Black racism. Both are transfeminist, queer affirming organizations politically aligned with supporting Black liberation work across Canada. Wildseed Centre for Art & Activism is a community incubator, gallery, studio, and central hub of activity for Black Lives Matter - Canada.
We are committed to providing an accessible process and experience for all applicants and will work with you to meet your access needs. Requests can be made at any phase of the recruitment process and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Operations & Finance Director will report to and be supervised by the Managing Director.
This work requires:
- Successful completion of post-secondary education in Accounting & Finance, or relevant field discipline – Professional designation or working towards a professional designation desired
- Three years accounting, bookkeeping, and or operations experience in a Not for Profit environment, including account reconciliation, tracking and monitoring of expenses and payroll processing
- Proven knowledge of Quickbooks accounting software, Windows, Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and working in a Mac environment
- Knowledge of Canadian GAAP, statutory remittances, HST, and regulations surrounding charitable organizations
- Excellent attention to detail, strong analytical skill, and consistent accuracy with work performance
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to prioritize, multitask and meet deadlines
- Must have excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Must have outstanding customer service and interpersonal communication skills and ability to employ tact, discretion, and diplomacy when dealing with partners, staff and other interested parties
- Sensitivity to and understanding of inclusive and equitable practices at work; a keen interest in seeking our related knowledge and training
JOB TYPE: Full-time. 40 hours per week.
CONTRACT START: June 14, 2021. 90 day probationary period.
PAY: $72,800- $93,600 CAD; Paid bi-weekly. Salary commensurate with experience; competitive benefits package.
BENEFITS: Health, Dental, & Life Insurance.
LOCATION: Dependent on the work: virtual, remote, or at location (76 Geary Avenue, Toronto, ON). Wildseed Centre is fully compliant with all Municipal, Provincial, and Federal COVID-19 guidelines.
- Responsible for all accounting operations including journal entries, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, statutory reporting, cash flow reports, and banking functions
- Keeps impeccable financial records and establishes, maintains and balances various accounts; reconciles accounts monthly
- Maintains general ledgers and prepares financial statements
- Process, file and maintain vendor payments
- Prepares for the annual audit and liaises with external auditors
- Establish and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance with established regulatory and company policies and procedures
- Prepares remittances to CRA & Minister of Finance, prepare annual returns/reports for Registered Charity, HST, EHT, and other government agencies
- Prepares tax returns and performs other bookkeeping duties
- Assists and advises in the organizational budgeting process
- Assists in the development and ensures the maintenance of robust and accurate filing and archiving systems for financial and corporate records
- Evaluates financial reporting systems and makes recommendations for changes to procedures, operating systems, budgets and other financial control functions
- Conducts annual reviews of organizational insurance policies to ensure the accuracy and adequacy of such policies
- Manages technical resources and accounts, including digital accounts
- Acts as the primary staff liaison to Corporations Canada, the Charity Directorate and the Canada Revenue Agency.
- Prepares T4s, T4As, Record of Employment and other documents as needed
- Onboard new and transitioning employees (preparing the workspace, setting up user accounts, completing paperwork etc.)
- Completes and submits tax remittance forms, workers’ compensation forms, pension contribution forms and other government documents
- Assists in the preparation of grant applications, including research grants and arts grants
- Contribute to a positive work environment that stimulates excellence, creativity, professionalism, collegiality, and well-being.
- Assists with other duties as assigned
If you have the qualifications to fill this role and feel you could make a meaningful contribution to Wildseed Centre for Art & Activism and Black Lives Matter — Canada, apply by submitting your resume and one-page cover letter in a single PDF by Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 11:59 PM ET to:
Subject: Operations & Finance Director
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.